Saturday, December 13, 2008

Barbarian Invasion

Long time since the last update. That has been mainly due to a project I've mentioned here before, which finally can be revealed now. My gaming partner and I participate in a battle report competition called at the Sweetwater Forum. Most of the miniatures and terrain were done exclusively for our entry, so I just didn't want to spoil our readers' joy.
Now the competition is on, and finally I can show you at least my part of the effort.

The Dark Ages (around here it's called Völkerwanderung) has been fascinating us for a long time: Romans fighting barbarians, eventually determining the Empire's fortune - that makes always for a good story! Some of our German Medieval legends originate in that "heroic age", e.g. the Nibelungenlied. And thus we had found our theme. We wrote a story of two heroes rivalling about Siegfried's favour and portrayed it in a set of three scenarios for Broadsword Adventures, Rattrap's latest rule system for small scale fantasy skirmishes, but easily adaptable to historical settings.

To cut a long story short: My men were outcompeted and joined Hagen's plot against Siegfried. Here they are - first comes Gaidemar the Laggard, followed by his subordinated Odalrich and Gundrhaban (left to right):

Miniatures by Wargames Foundry, buildings by Gripping Beast (also painted by me for the entry).

Next ones, Gaidemar's minions, Allowin, Hiuto the Scout and Ragnfrid, Man of Sorrows (again, left to right):

Miniatures by Wargames Foundry.

Furthermore I've painted some civilians and other stuff to enliven the battlefield. On the picture beneath, the damsel on the left was a freebie from Wargames Illustrated (meant to be clad Lady Godiva). Originally I chose her to represent Kriemhild, Siegfried's wife, but eventually she made no appearance as such. I'm also quite happy how the swine and the herder turned out; both a joy to paint, though I'm normally not a big fan of Gripping Beast stuff.

Miniatures by Gripping Beast.

And, finally, a cart used for transporting the Nibelungen treasure and some deer to contribute to the atmosphere of our Deutsche Wälder (especially needed for the final scenario laid out around Siegfried's last hunt in the Odenwald forest):

Cart and cases by Redoubt, deer by Mega Miniatures.

Next time, I'll show you some Romans we used in our game, who also lay the cornerstone of my Limitanei force for Warhammer Ancient Battles. Keep your eyes peeled!

6 comments:

Giles said...

Very nice indeed!

Best wishes

Giles

Yggdrasil said...

Wow! Nice paint job.
I realy like what i can see.
The Nibelungen Saga is a very nice legend and i like it very much.

Greetings

Yggdrasil

Sire Godefroy said...

Thank you, guys!

Yggdrasil, what about painting up some barbarians and coming over to join us in the sequel? You're more than welcome!

Cheers

Andrew said...

Nice! I always like seeing villagers and animals. I lost the link to your blog for a while. I'm glad I found it again!

Sire Godefroy said...

Hey Andrew,

Glad you've found your way back! :)
I do also like tiny bits to enliven the battlefield, hence I add them whenever possible.

If anyone is interested, I've posted an English (condensed) version of our entry for the battle report competition over on Lead Adventure Forum. Here are the links:

Game 1: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=9112.0

Game 2: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=9129.0

Game 3: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=9330.0

Cheers

Breazer said...

I only found out about your blog today and I really love it. This is a particular good post. Great stuff and great painting. Keep up the good work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails