Friday, April 10, 2009

Character Creation II

As stated in February I had to create a few character miniatures for our FIW campaign. After some delay I'm now in the process of painting up some Native warriors. Here's the first pair:


They feature as villains in the campaign, and I had already finished them in a hurry for our last installment. Okay, they missed their appearance at last due to scenario rules - but there will be always a use for some Indians, for sure.


The miniatures are from Conquest Miniatures. The guy on the left is (unmistakably) meant to represent Magua, a character in the movie The Last Mohican. The figure really captures Wes Studi's appearance in this role, and for me it's one of the best models in the whole range. His companion is a generic Woodland Indian. The war paint pattern is inspired by photos of this reenactment group.
I had some issues with finding the correct skin tone. I tried my hand on classic Hollywood "red skins". That looked rather silly, and a quick research revealed that there's basically no difference in actual skin tones between American Natives and (Southern) Europeans. Anyway, to distinguish them a bit I opted for my tested "dark flesh" variant (Foundry Dusky Flesh with extra highlights), normally used for Middle to Far Eastern skin. Until someone tells me about a more convincing method, I'm fine with the result and will use it for the upcoming Indian bunch as well.

In case you've noticed the growing numbers on the "Painted" side on the Lead Altimeter and the continued lack of updates here: I'm working on a couple of projects that cannot be revealed until we played the actual scenario (the 'element of surprise', you know).
So, please be patient and stay tuned! There's a whole lot to be shown in a little while...

9 comments:

Faust said...

Looks awesome bro! You really nailed it. When I clicked on the page I instantly thought, "hey, that's Magua..."

Well done!

Giles said...

Very nice. I agree that in 25mm there is little difference between "white" skin and "red" skin, but the way you've done it here works extremely well.

Giles

Sire Godefroy said...

Thanks guys. :)
"Indian skin" is one of the few things not covered in Dallimore's book (which is my personal painting bible). Anyway, all photos of Magua/Wes Studi I sift through showed his rather pale brown skin. As a born Cherokee he might also be somewhat representative for Woodland Indians in general. Nonetheless, any other suggestions are welcome.

Anonymous said...

This is very well done. What are the "extra highlights" you used?

-footslogger

Sire Godefroy said...

footslogger, glad you like them. I added Foundry's "Buff Leather 7A", but probably you could also use the highlights of the "Chestnut" or the "Spearshaft" sets.

Cheers

Andrew said...

Excellent! I just got back to a visit from Fort Ticonderoga, so I am inspired to do some FIW models. There's not much available in 1/72, so maybe I'll treat myself to some Conquest models!

Sire Godefroy said...

Andrew,
do it, you won't be disappointed. Conquest has a great range, sadly few additions lately. Looking really forward to the European soldiers. again...

Cheers
SG

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Really nice tones your working here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails