Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gently down the stream

To cut a long story short: Here's another entry featuring Napoleonic troops for our Sharpe & Aubrey games. This time I tried to stage a little levée en masse, that is painting two small units instead of single miniatures in a set time frame (1 week). Fellows who can build up an army litterally overnight may laugh at my trial, but I'm proud that I managed to do it. Now I have quite enough troops to stage the (hopefully) gran finale of our campaign. We will be using Triumph & Tragedy, a quite innovative rule set for bigger to large skirmish games (perhaps comparable to Sharp Practice in size).

So, here's the first bunch, five British Light Infantrymen and two Rifles:


The riflemen are once again Perry plastics (with the former ones I've build all variations of this kit), the Light Bobs are Foundry. Although the Perrys' style has changed - and improved - a lot since they worked for Foundry, I've to admit that even their earlier Napoleonics are looking still up to date.
As you can see, the rifles are of the 95th (of course!), and the Lights are painted as soldiers of Sharpe's imaginary regiment, the South Essex.


They are joined by a landing party, built up from Foundry's small Napoleonic seamen range. First I was disappointed by the physiognomy of these figures; some of them look rather distorted.

On the other hand their expressive (or better: aggressive) faces and poses just fit the bill. At last, these are angry sailormen, ready for boarding and beating the devil out of some Frenchmen...


Fantasy was my guide when painting the uniforms (one seems to have looted an army depot), since my Osprey books are already packed up for I'm currently moving house. That's also why I cannot post as regularly as I want to. Fortunately, painting is going well, so there are already some updates in the line, when things will be settled down again.

Models by Perry Miniatures and Wargames Foundry, painted in July 2009 (terrain by Grand Manner or scratch-built by me).

8 comments:

Giles said...

Very nice indeed. The British regulars are definitely earlier Perry sculpts (e.g. the gnomish proportions), but do stand up well. I think Nick Collier is responsible for the seamen and Royal Marines - his faces can sometimes be a bit odd, at other times are the equal of the Perries. I've had the occasional thought of painting some up as an AWI landing party. Beautiful painting and photos, as always!

Best wishes

Giles

jmezz382 said...

Great painting .... looks awesome

Sire Godefroy said...

Thanks, chaps! :-)

Photography is still an issue - my (over)critical eyes tell me that the pics are rather blurry and the miniatures still look too shiny. If only I could manage to take pictures by daylight or with two movable lamps, I think it would improve the photos a lot. But enough whining, I'll work on that.

Cheers

Faust said...

I gotta tell ya, this is one of my favorite places to visit on the web! You just knock this hobby right outta the park!

Keep up the great work, it inspires me, and right now I'm sorely in need of some painting inspiration.

Much thanks,

Faust

Giles said...

SG, your photography is fine, and any miniatures are going to have some shine on them whenever in light (natural or otherwise). I think many in this hobby obsess overmuch about photos - there is a well known forum, for example, that runs painting competitions where people seem to vote for the quality of photography ahead of the quality of the painting! Ultimately, it's only the figures themselves that matter.

Sire Godefroy said...

Faust, to provide inspiration to like-minded people is one of the greatest compliments for me. Many thanks - I'm looking forward to see you at the brush again. ;-)

Giles, all true! Unfortunately, the internet has a two-edged effect: It's a hoard of inspiration and thereby improves the hobby a lot. On the other hand, at times it can be quite frustrating to compare your efforts to what other people can achieve - and not to know what you've done 'wrong'. Can't really stand above this thinking...
Anyway, thanks for your kind and encouraging words - the more as your work is quite an example for me. :-)

Cheers
SG

Secundus said...

Lovely work as always!

I haven't looked it up but i didn't know the South Essex was made up, you learn something new every day.

Sire Godefroy said...

Thanks, Secundus. :)
Indeed, the South Essex is fictional (there's a Wikipedia article), loosely connected to the 44th (East Essex) Regiment, it seems.

Cheers
SG

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails