Sunday, January 17, 2010

Character Creation III or Warpainting!

Just needed a change from filing and trimming the first unit for Impetus. I've unfortunately found my latest Perry order heavily afflicted with flash and details spoilt by off-casts. I assume that's because of poor moulds which have suffered from permanent usage (which is anyway a sign of the Perrys' prosperous enterprise). However, I'm not amused.
In the meantime I'd like to show you some miniatures painted already months ago, actually for our Halloween game in 2009 - which reminds me of still having to write a battle report *sigh*. I was too late for doing the bases properly back then and completed them only recently. The finishing coat of matt varnish has sadly eaten up some details and produced a shiny effect which isn't visible under normal circumstances. Simply have to add that again in defence of my poor photographic skills. You know it. I'll shut up.


I've tried once more to capture the special look of Native American flesh. This time I used exclusively Foundry's Dusky Flesh 6. For now I'll stick with that, even if Foundry's latest additions to their Flesh colours range seem to offer a better solution. Darn...


Watching some very good Woodland Indian reenactors in 2009 gave me a lot of ideas for painting these miniatures' equipment. Unfortunately I'm not able to apply all those lovely but tiny figures and designs beloved by Native craftsmen.


I was also impressed by the menacing look of warriors fully covered with warpaint. So I decided to paint one of the men in attacking pose just like that. Really not what you would like to discover lurking in your vegetable patches in the morning.


For warpaint and clothing I double-checked my references. Natural colours like red, black and brown were most common, simply due to availability. However, since these warriors will be added to my French forces for the F&IW I allowed myself some extravagance like blue and green dye and the casual white shirt taken as booty from an Englishmen or traded with French merchants.


Still need to catch up with last year's output, so I've no clue what will be up next. In any case, please stay with me. :-)

Painted in November 2009. Models by Conquest Miniatures.

6 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I'd say they turned out very nice and they look great!

Cheers
Christopher

Giles said...

Great stuff, Sire G. They dont' look at all shiny to me. For some reason, Perry figures are always covered in sharp bits, flash and runners. It's clearly something to do with the mouldmaking or casting, and is annoying as it doubles the amount of time you have to spend cleaning up the figures. I suppose such is the price we pay for great figures...

Best wishes

Giles

Sire Godefroy said...

Thanks for your positive feedback, chaps!

Giles, for sure it won't stop me from purchasing from the Perrys in the future. ;-)
But seemingly the excessive flash is foremost an issue with older (or quite famous) miniatures. I noticed no such problems with more recent figures or particular, somewhat 'obscure' ranges. It's just a pity that great miniatures for example completely lost their faces in lead residues.
And I fear that some, mainly new customers could be easily put off by this lacking quality of otherwise fabulous sculpts.

Cheers
SG

Hizbur said...

its so > "night at the museum"! good work

Secundus said...

Very nice work going on here. If you like to use my lead mountain picture go ahead.

I don't know If you can get Silflor products, but they do great miniature leaves. These tiny fallen brown leaves would look fantastic on these woodland bases. Have a look at Silflor and see If you can get hold of any.

Sire Godefroy said...

Hey Secundus, thanks for your advice - and the allowance to use your artwork; let's see if I dare to receycle it here. ;-)

I'm already using commercial 'model leaves' made from birch seeds (don't know the correct term). You can see it on some of my Late Roman bases.
In case of these Indians I've aimed for consistency with my other FIW-models, some of which are quite dated. Back then I used dried parsley to represent North American undergrowth and soil. Fairly simple and cheap, though not very sophisticated.

Cheers
SG

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails