Friday, March 12, 2010

Knights' Tale

In 2010 there were quite a few 'anomalies' on this blog already: I bothered you with my New Year's resolution and, lately, a shameless advertisement. So I hope you don't mind, if I follow this trend by presenting a WIP-shot of a unit I'm working on.
What follows are the first miniatures painted for my "Impetus Army Project". As you might remember, it was one of the things I intended to start in 2010. And here's the first bunch:


These fellows represent a unit of dismounted knights, in terms of the rules it's just Heavy Infantry. Since they are all Perry sculpts, they are meant to be Western European men-at-arms of the early 15th century. However, I wanted them to resemble the knights in Habsburg service who fought - and were eventually defeated by - the Swiss Confederates in the famous battle of Sempach in 1386. Therefore I tried to stick with 'old-fashioned' armour and clothing styles. Fortunately, there's also an extensive list of knights who were killed during the battle, and their coat-of-arms are depicted in a chapel near the battlefield site. Thus I've added distinct heraldry to some of these knights, e.g. the 'command group' in the back are (left to right) an Ochsensteiner, one Herr von Bollweiler and a knight of Gr├╝nenberg.

I tried to provide a certain feel of movement to the unit, however, I'm not yet sure if I succeeded. For sure, proper basing will even out some of the optical issues, but still...
The miniatures aren't glued to their places, so I'd like to hear your opinions, suggestions and - if you must - criticism. Please let me know what you think!

Painted February to March 2010. Models by Perry Miniatures.

8 comments:

Muskie said...

Good work as always.

jmezz382 said...

Look great to me ..... I am sure heavy infantry may look slightly scattered after dismounting. As well as being heavy .... walking formations may have been hard ...

airhead said...

Great looking work.

Airhead

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

They look very nice!

Cheers
Christopher

JET (aka Jason) said...

Most of my Impetus painting has been at the 15mm scale. However, one lesson I learned is that you generally need less models than you think to make one of those large bases look full. I guess that all of the ground cover fills visual space that the plain MDF does not.

Really great job, and what a splendid-looking army it will be.

Galpy said...

They look amazing love the way you've tackled the armour has a nice realistic look to it keep up the great work

Stephan Huber aka Regulator said...

Smashing job mate - now get some grass and bushes on them, or will we see some dirty mud-scenes?

Stephan

Sire Godefroy said...

Many thanks all around! :-)
The groundwork is under construction right now. Most probably I'll get the base finished in the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

Cheers
SG

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails