Saturday, July 03, 2010

A Question of Honour

First, a big sorry to my readers who had to wait for an update for such a long time. After the last post's 'breakdown' I received a lot of encouraging feedback - thanks for that! Unfortunately, life got in the way in the meantime; not to mention the impact of the World Championship and a major heat wave rolling over Germany. Not the best conditions to get back to painting, you see. ;-)

But nevertheless I've managed at least to pick up where I left off: the mounted knights for Basic Impetus. So here they are in all their chivalric glory:


Sticking to the first base's theme, this one again portrays knights in Habsburgian service at the battle of Sempach. Placed here are another Grünenberg knight, one of Büttikon and an Eschenzer, each with his own squire. For this I got inspired by an illustration (taken from the old Funcken 'manual') which shows a somewhat stylised knights retinue, a so called 'lance':


I couldn't bring myself to portray a unit that is supposed to consist completely of heavily armoured noblemen by just one knight and his lesser followers. So I mixed and matched a bit, using the Perrys' Men-at-Arms as knights and some of the "mounted sergeants" as their supporters. The knights' pennons are purely conjectural; most probably each of the historical men were allowed to bear their own banner, not just a simple knight's flag. Again, the more impressive standards are spared for another occasion...



As you can see I've also added some baggage to the squire's horses to indicate that these fellows are just riding to battle. That is another resemblance of the Sempach legend, which tells about some knights fleeing the battlefield in horseback shortly after they had arrived there and had seen their dismounted comrades collapsing under the Swiss' onslaught.


The current climate caused some problems with the matt varnish - again. It produced nasty white sprinkles on the models. However, since they aren't really noticable from a distance, I decided not to care about them (for now).


Next up are some footmen again. However, there are other models waiting on my desk for ages; most likely I will throw in some of them first.

Painted June to July 2010. Models by Wargames Foundry (squire on foot) & Perry Miniatures (the rest).

9 comments:

jmezz382 said...

Beautiful stuff ....

We all have life to mix with our hobbies. We understand :)

Andrew said...

I do so enjoy your painting and your mini photos. I'm sending positive hobby vibes your way.

Giles said...

Sir G - these are absolutely fantastic figures; beautiful painting, inspired composition and realistic basing as well. As for lack of painting time....I sympathise!!

Best wishes

Giles

JET (aka Jason) said...

Spectacular work. Sometimes getting one thing done is the very motivation required to get things back on track.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Simply outstanding!!I'm happy to see you posting again!

Cheers
Christopher

Sire Godefroy said...

Thanks a lot for your kind and encouraging comments. If the current heat wave over here ever disappears, I'll gladly get back to painting. It's unbearable as it is.

But I'm motivated nevertheless. :-)

Tankred said...

Absolutely outstanding. I am happy that kicking your ... works that good :D

Bill T said...

Beautiful work :)

Doc Phobos said...

Great work! I am surprised you are posting anything painting related at all. This heat is absolute killjoy for me. I can hardly think straight (and I'm Greek for Pete's sake!) and that paint in dry in milliseconds...

Looking forward to more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails