Monday, August 02, 2010

16th Queen's Light Dragoons

To celebrate the sixtieth follower of this blog - never hoped for such a big interest, many thanks to you all! -, I'm going to make a confession: What makes the AWI setting so special for me? - Shocking answer: There are merely a few to none horses to paint!
Okay, just kidding. Actually, the horses were part of the fun as I recently painted up these fellows, to become the first (and maybe the only) cavalry unit in my British army, the 16th Queen's Light Dragoons:


The Perrys hardly ever fail to impress me with their models, and these sculpts are one of my favorites so far. Excellent, crisp detail, loads of charater in each single trooper. I'm really looking forward to add another pair. However, for most games the existing three bases could be sufficient, as the historical unit seems to have been chronically understrength, at least during the Philadelphia campaign. By 1778 the remaining troopers were transferred to the 17th Light Dragoons, their officers returning home. (Since I don't want to rehash what others have done far better, please refer to Giles Allison's condensed overview of the regiment's history.)


Regarding the 16th's uniforms and equipment I got mainly disparate, sometimes contradictory information. For example, Jim Bowen (painting for the Perrys' website) screwed something up, when he painted the musician's uniform in reversed colours - in fact, since it was/is one of the Queen's regiments, the musicians were allowed to wear the Royal livery. But guess what, I couldn't find a single reliable reference for that livery!


The same goes for other details, but the more I felt free to use a bit of artistic license. Furthermore, the 16th were one of two British cavalry units in the American theatre (who cares about loyalists?), so I thought it fit to accord them some elitist extravagancy. Therefore they're sporting blue canteens, actually not to be seen until the Napoleonic Wars, too. Also not very likely: The officer rides an appaloosa, a horse breed quite popular among European nobilites of the 17th and 18th century. These beasts were mostly reserved for parades or equestrian sports. Only a fool or a real gentleman would have dared to take such a costliness with him to America and right into battle. Anyway, it's a great display of British genteelness.


All in all, I'm quite happy with the way these guys turned out. Even though they might not be as accurately portrayed as it could be - lazy me, maybe next time. ;-)
Unfortunately, as you can see, the figures suffered not only from my poor photographic skills, but also from varnishing again. Both must not be done in a hurry!

PS: Finally, if I may call your attention to two new features of this site:
  1. I have joined Twitter to provide my readers with more regular updates. Painting and posting takes a lot of time (the latter not least since I'm no native speaker). And even if non-painting-related stuff makes an appearance here at times, I want to reserve this place mainly for pictures of my wargaming stuff. Therefore minor updates of what I'm currently doing (if relevant for this blog, of course) can be found from now under the "Mountaineer's Log".
  2. The "Rules Most Recently Run"-section has been replaced by a static page (see the tab above), where a few rulesets I own and/or have played are treated in some depth. Other pages are to follow, but still it's all in progress. So keep an eye out.
 As ever, if you have any special ideas or interests, please let me know - by commenting here or on Twitter or anywhere you like. I'm always glad to get your feedback!

7 comments:

Giles said...

Stunning painting, Sire G. The appaloosa is an excellent idea, but all the horses are very well done. Fantastic faces too!

Best wishes

Giles

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Great job Sire G. and it's really nice seeing you pick up the brush again!Like Giles said all the horses look good,but that appaloosa is really excellent.

Cheers
Christopher

AD said...

Ditto the above. Very nice work!

Doc Phobos said...

Amazing stuff, SG! Glad to be seeing more of your work! Might motivate the lazy ones among us (yeah, I feel ashamed).

Galpy said...

I love the way your painting has really brought these guys and their horses to life great painting skills awesome job

Fridericus said...

I enjoyed looking at your figures. Especially as I'm just trying to paint my own lot. As far as the trumpeter is concerned I can offer a look at the 1768 Royal Clothing Warrant: the coat was red with blue, waistcoats, breeches and lining of the coat were white, the lace was "Royal lace, blue and yellow". As far as I could find out yellow was the basic colour. My trumpeter got leather breeches, better suited for rough riding. One problem I am still pondering about: the colour of the helmet turbans. A helmet in an auction has a scarlet turban! For the painted "panther skin" turban I couldn't find reliable sources up to now. Great fun researching and painting, I agree.
Fridericus

Sire Godefroy said...

@Fridericus: You're absolutely right. Shortly after posting this entry I re-read the Warrant and realised that I'd mixed up something completely. It's more than obvious that the musicians wore white coats as ordered for the men; the only change being their laced coat.

Regarding the turban: The item on sale might have come from another regiment. IIRC both the 15th LD and the British Legion sported scarlet or red scarfs on their helmets. However, there's no reliable evidence for an exclusive usage of 'leopard skin' by the 16th LD. Simply as they won't show up to often on battlefield I wanted them to stand out on tabletop by flamboyance.

Cheers
SG

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails