Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Answer is 24

It is kind of a one-shot, so the following model gets its own posting. 
Just a few words of explanation beforehand: One could have noticed already that I'm an outright TV & movie junkie - more distinguished people call it a "cinéaste". Hence I'm also a huge fan of the 24 series. Its whole approach, from the tension in storytelling to its ethical double bind, captured me early on. Surprisingly enough, I couldn't imagine how to properly transfer all these aspects to the tabletop. However, I just wanted to paint something up as a homage to this series which's still one of my favourites.


For quite some time I had this model in mind, because it's reminiscent of a typical Jack Bauer pose. The miniature shows both mental and physical tension combined with agility - or more simply put: I just love this sculpt. It's one of Hasslefree's Kevs, most probably meant to be deployed in a 'Zombiecalypse' setting (which isn't my cup of tea, to say the least). Originally, this chap is bald, so I had to add hair. Granted, I'm no sculptor, but it turned out decent enough me thinks.


Paintingwise I tried to resemble the muted colours mostly sported by Jack Bauer in the series. Also I limited the colour palette to reflect the rather depressing, shabby and backyard-like urban ground, wherein most episodes are set. This is a bit broken up by the hair colour - obviously, Jack Bauer is rather dark blonde -, his quite extravagant gun, the wear marks of a "very hard day" and, of course, a recurring feature, the emptied soft drink can.


Now there are yet some other vignette models I've started with. It's a nice relief from painting figures for actual gaming, because I don't feel obliged to start on whole units or complementary stuff. Furthermore, it allows for experimenting with techniques, colours and the like. Thus, as always, I'd love to hear what you think.


Painted May 2011. Model by Hasslefree Miniatures.

6 comments:

Giles said...

Awesome work, Sire G. The layering is superb and the basing is perfect. And the figure does in look quite like Jack Bauer...

Best wishes

Giles

The Angry Lurker said...

I have the original bald version, that's some great hair and paintwork.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Great likeness SG! Superb bit of blending and nice touch with the can.

Christopher

Doc Phobos said...

Spectacular work, SG! One of your best work. The hair look great and you shouldn't put your skills down.
What really impresses me is the expressive face. The painting is simply flawless. Stunning work.

And now you also have a great Zombiepocalypse survivor if you ever want to play such a game. :)

Sire Godefroy said...

Very glad you like him, gents!

Bad thing is I'm still struggling with my new camera. By now the rather dark pics (which looked fine yesterday evening) don't please me. :/

Anyway, as mentioned, no zombies for me, please - I just don't get what the fuss's all about. The only games I can think of using this not-Jack Bauer are Modern Mystery or Near Future ones, for these are applicable settings I'm interested in (and not to forget: have miniatures etc. for). We'll see. ;-)

Cheers
SG

Doc Phobos said...

I know you are not a Zombie man. :)

Well, the dark pictures add to this miniature, so I wouldn't worry too much. It all works!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails