Friday, February 10, 2012

Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy 58


A very quick 'n' dirty update, because I'm busy to get all the stuff ready for our participation game. Even with aims cut back to managable standards, there's a lot of work in it. A teaser will be up shortly.
This post, however, is to show you some shots of the vignette I did for the latest issue of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy. Most certainly you have already seen the cover or even read my tutorial in there. (If not, I urge you to catch that up! :-D ) Since the magazine has been out for a while now, I thought it okay to give at least a few additional views that didn't make it into the printed version.




Despite my initial plans, I got a bit in a hurry to paint and stage the miniatures - as well as taking photos of them. Hence, if you want to enjoy them in a more convenient format, there's another reason to get the magazine. ;-)




As a result of this work, I'm planning to complement my French/Westphalian Napoleonic troops with some Austrians. Because, if nothing else, this vignette demonstrates the possibilities of just a single box of plastic miniatures nowadays.

If you have any questions that weren't covered in my article (e.g. my colour reference got lost), feel free to ask here. Other comments are welcome as well, of course!

Painted October 2011. Models by Victrix Miniatures (and a tiny piece from Perry Miniatures).

10 comments:

Lee Hadley said...

Very nice work. I haven't bought my copy of WSS yet (naughty boy) but I'll be going out to get it this afternoon, rest assured.

painterman said...

Saw these lovely figures on the cover, when browsing the mag. Didn't realise you'd done them - they're excellent. Great painting, basing and wonderful composition - telling a narrative. Brilliant!
Simon.

Dalauppror said...

Looking wery nice ! Havent seen the magasine, but i might have to get hold of a copy.

Best regards dalauppror

Bedford said...

That is one lovely piece. gonna have to shoot off to Newcastle to buy WSS tomorrow if it's out?

Darrell.

Brummie said...

Great work mate. Congrats on getting it in the mag tho. First time?

Ray Rousell said...

Great looking figures!!!Its a great mag, I'd recommend it to any gamer!!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Awesome piece of work SG and a great choice of background! Once again congratulations on making the cover!

Christopher

Mike said...

Nice additional pictures. I haven't tried to "muddy" any Austrians yet, but plan to do so soon. I've read the article several times and until I try your technique, it's still somewhat unclear. I'll have specific questions when I attempt it.

Schrumpfkopf said...

very nicely painted miniatures and basing. I also like the arrangement, it's just that you'd never ever see fighting men on their legs without rushing for the colors if they're down.

Sire Godefroy said...

Schrumpfkopf, that's just another possible story. Maybe the fellow carrying the flag has just been downed? Maybe the grenadier gives covering fire for a comrade to pick up the fallen banners? Or maybe the soldiers marching by are happy having just saved their own Ordinärfahne, so why care about another company loosing their rags?

It's all about stories, so thank you for your input! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails