Saturday, December 22, 2012

Merry Musings

Holidays ahead will see me putting down the brushes for the rest of 2012. So it’s time for another wrap-up. Another post or two will detail my very own projects, those achieved, those just begun as well as such planned for the coming year. However, as some of my dear readers will already have noticed I’m also doing commission work, and that’s what I’ve been up to recently almost all the way. So let’s take a step out of the accustomed “big project” talk and get to the bare bones of this blog, i.e. a fun bit of showcasing.

First off, there’s been another batch of 1/72 models. Thanks to a loyal customer the likes have kept appearing quite regularly on my paint desk for years now. However, I still find this scale to be a challenge, for these models are not your typical wargame pumpkins with overly pronounced detail. I enjoy painting them nevertheless as both creativity and skill of sculptors in 1/72 scale are just outstanding! The pictured figures are meant for a piratey 17th century diorama, so the man in the centre is geared to Angus McBride’s imaging of L’Olonnais (as seen in the Osprey volume on buccaneers).


Another newish scale for me is 40mm. Admittedly, I’ve painted a few larger scale models before, mainly the gods for our “Trojan War” participation game (until I get them photographed myself pictures thereof can be seen in Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy issue 61). My dear friend and partner in crime Lt. Hazel was bitten by this nasty bug obviously, since he and our mate Driscoles, author of the Triumph & Tragedy rules, are about to stage a whole game using 40mm models. Of course, they’ve gone for an optimum by choosing the Perries’ excellent Peninsular War range. Though I can’t take any credit for organising the game (which will premiere at Tactica 2013), I was kindly invited to do some supernumeraries first and now some regulars in support.



No surprise, bigger scales allow for greater detail. And let me tell you, there’s a lot of that in particular on Napoleonic uniforms. I’ve tried hard to get them right but for sure die-hard enthusiasts will easily point out some obvious errors. I stand to be corrected, but in the meantime I rest assured that the game itself will make up for any inaccuracy single-handedly.


Lastly I come back to my loved 28mm’s. Having liquidated the remnants of my first dabbling in the world of Impetus I agreed lately to painting up a bunch of complementary models from the Perries’ “Azincourt to Orleans” range. The first figures shown here are still WIP, but you get the idea. For colouring I picked out at random the armorial bearings of noble families from Swabia (given that the figures might be used as troops involved in the Swabian Cities’ War of the late 1380’s). That was no requirement, but even such superficial research is part of the fun for me really.


Those models are an almost perfect segway to my very own projects up next. But I hold my breath for the time being, because this requires a separate and wordier post. If you look forward to that is up to you. ;-)

In the meantime, as the follow-up might get delayed, I’d better seize the chance to wish you all a Merry Christmas or just Happy Holidays, whatever suits you best! Have a good time everyone!

9 comments:

BigRedBat said...

Soem fab paintign there! Detail on the 20mm is fantastic.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Wonderful brushwork! They all look fantastic!

Christopher

airhead said...

Looking forward to you 40mm project next year, have a good christmas and all the best for 2013.

Airhead

Dalauppror said...

Merry Christmas to you Tilman !

Very nice WIP pictures, favourite are ofcourse the Swadian Knights. Looking forweard to hear more about your upcomming project !

Best regards Michael

Sir Tobi said...

Happy Holiday and thanks again for your great work. I can't wait to see those knights finished. Best regards and Frohe Weihnachten, Tobi

Lt.Hazel said...

Those frenchies are a nice present for Christmas mate! You did a fantastic job. I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Bis nächstes Jahr
Jan

Tarty said...

Wonderful work, Merry Christmas and look forward to more of it in the new year.

Sire Godefroy said...

Cheers, guys! On the day itself I wish you all "ein frohes und gesegnetes Weihnachtsfest". To all of us!

Take care and stay tuned!

Tilman

Senyor Verd said...

Amazing work.
Merry Christmas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails