Monday, August 24, 2015

Return to ancient graves

After a long hiatus I've recently returned to Ancient mythology. My interest got reignited by the current hype about Osprey's "Frostgrave". Despite my admiration for the figures and terrain people have come up with already (just have a look at the Frostgrave sub-board over on Lead Adventure Forum), I couldn't afford to start yet another collection of (very) specific terrain and figures for this trademarked setting. Also, I've yet to determine if the game is a keeper.

So I've begun to scratch-build some random ruined terrain, which will fit in with my existing Mediterranean pieces. I could use it as ancient remains in settings up to the present day.


Essentially it's all built from a 3mm polystyrene sheet and based on very thin plastic card. The two pillars are made from a tube containing vitamin tablets, which was cut up; the tube also provided a 'stopper' which was repurposed as a fancy metal decoration on top of an altar.


So far I've refrained from playing any game which involves zombies. The concept and people's fascination with it is, for some reason, completely lost on me. However, "Frostgrave" (like many other fantasy games) calls for zombies – so I tried to add a twist at least: I'm repurposing some Foundry Mycenaeans for the role of "undead ancestors", "earthborns" or other restless spirits that can be called upon.


Still experimenting with colour schemes. These two got a greenish grey skin tone; Foundry's Granite works quite well. The next ones might have a more brownish complexion. And some I might even paint as ghosts – we'll see. For their somewhat decayed or simply ancient equipment I used brown and green hues (Foundry Rawhide & Vallejo Green Grey/Khaki, Foundry Teal Blue for patina effects). Their simple bases are to match my Argonauts, as seen here before.

More to come soon, I hope.

5 comments:

Dalauppror said...

Looks exellent!!!

airbornegrove26 said...

Very cool project. I look forward to following this. ;)

The Kiwi said...

That looks really good. Top job! I like it a lot!

Moiterei_1984 said...

Good to see you back again! That's quite some great stuff and I especially like your Zombie stand ins. They somewhat remind me of the Dead Men of Dunharrow from the Lord of the Rings movies.

Sire Godefroy said...

Thanks, guys, really appreciate your comments. :-)

Moiti, indeed! I'll likely paint another couple in more 'ghostly' tones to resemble those Oathbreakers as they appeared later in the film. These here were also inspired by a picture of "earthborn" warriors fighting against Jason in Peter Connolly's "Greek legends" (a great source, by the way).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails